Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Homemade Deodorant

Ever since I found out that anti-perspirants are directly related to breast cancer, because of the aluminum in them, once again I knew that I could find something I could make myself that would be safer and work to my satisfaction. I don't remember where I found this recipe for homemade deodorant, but I've used it for 3-4 years and have been very happy w/it.

Homemade deodorant is really very simple and you probably have all of the items in your cupboard already.



Here's what you need:

~An air-tight container ~ either a pretty dusting powder jar w/lid (I'm hunting antique shops for one!) OR some other container, I use a small Rubbermaid container.

~1/2c. Baking Soda

~1/2c. Corn Starch

~5 drops of an anti-bacterial essential oil; I use Lavender

~A whisk

Add Baking Soda to container...

Add Corn Starch...

Add about 5 drops of Lavender essential oil...

Whisk thoroughly.

To apply use either a powder puff or gently fluff a large cottonball, press into the mixture and apply.

REMEMBER: 1) This IS a DEODORANT, NOT an anit-perspirant; 2) this IS a powder so be careful when applying it while wearing dark colors and sleeveless shirts. At times, in the summer, I have been known to first apply a little bit of Tom's Lavender deodorant stick and THEN quickly applying the powder over it when I know it's going to be very hot or I'm going to be in a stressful situation.

Enjoy!

Blessings from Ohio, Kim Wolf<><

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I've used one of those salt crystal rocks for years and have never had a problem with odor! I (way over)spent $12 for a cube 5 years ago and just last month retired it...not because it was worn out, but because I kept dropping it and it eventually got to small and sharp to be comfortable. Now I have one that's round and in it's own deodorant-like container that I got at DLM for $4. You should try it! No effort, just swab it on when you're fresh out of the shower and still wet under the arms, and viola!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one too! Much needed in this Oklahoma heat! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails