Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Flaxseed Bread & Rolls

I have made my family's bread for quite a while . . . I can't imagine going back to store-bought bread on a regular basis. It just isn't the same. About 2 years ago I started reading up on women's health . . . both as a benefit for myself and my 2 daughters. One of the things that I discovered is that Omega 3's and lignans are vital to a woman's health . . . monthlies, skin, hair, nails, mood, etc. Some of the best places to find these are in fish, olive oil and flaxseed oil. We are not huge "fish fans" but I DO use olive oil in just about everything except baking sweets (then I use safflower oil).

I take a tablespoon of Flaxseed oil everyday. It's not a problem for me, but my daughters don't really like it. Since I wanted a way to fit more Flax into my family's diet I came up (by Divine inspiration, I'm sure) with putting Flaxseed Meal in my bread!! I also put it in my dinner roll recipe.

I used to mix and knead my bread dough by hand, but now I let my bread machine do it, then I let it do the last rise and then bake in a bread/loaf pan in my oven.

Here are my recipes that I have tweaked over the years...I hope you enjoy . . .
KW<><

FLAXSEED BREAD
{2 lb. loaf}
1-1/3 c. hot water (the hotter, the better, but not boiling)
2 ts. butter (or margarine ~ I recommend Earth Balance, it is non-hydrogenated)
4 c. unbleached bread flour (I also enjoy 2 c bread flour & 2 c whole wheat)
1/4 c. flaxseed meal
1 TB. dough enhancer (**optional)
5 ts. sugar OR Sucanat (depends on your sweet-tooth)
1-1/2 ts. sea salt (OR Real Salt ~ remember that Real Salt is "saltier" than sea salt)
1 TB. (heaping) yeast (cold - kept in frig)

1) Add ingredients into your bread machine in order as listed above.

2) Use your finger or a measuring spoon to form a well (hole) in the mixture to pour the yeast into. NEVER let your yeast come into contact w/a liquid before mixing. NOTE ~ hot water & cold yeast will make your bread rise higher & more successfully; however, if it is raining on the day you bake your bread the rise will not be quite so high.

3)
Set machine on "Dough." Mine will knead and rise for about 1-1/2 hours.

4) About 10 minutes before cycle is complete, set oven on "warm" to pre-heat. While oven is warming, spray or grease your loaf pan. After about 10 minutes, turn oven OFF. Take bread out of machine, punch down, shape into loaf and put in a loaf pan, set bread in oven and let rise for 45 minutes. You may cover w/a clean, light-weight dish towel if you wish.

5) REMOVE TOWEL, if used. Set oven at 375 degrees and bake bread for 27-30 minutes.

6)
ENJOY!!!

FLAXSEED ROLLS

Same recipe ingredients as above.

Follow 1), 2) and 3) above.

4) Before cycle is complete, set oven on "warm" for 5-10 minutes. Then turn oven OFF. On a floured board, punch down and knead dough for about 5 minutes, shape into a ball and place on lightly floured cookie sheet, cover and let rise in warmed oven for 30 minutes.

5)
Divide dough by placing 3 small rolled balls into each cup of a GREASED or SPRAYED muffin pan.

6) Cover w/clean, light-weight dish towel, if you wish. Let rise in warm oven for 30-45 minutes.

7)
REMOVED TOWEL, if used. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

8) ENJOY!!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Kim! I bake my own bread as well, and I have a couple questions that I thought you might be able to answer. I use a recipe that uses half whole wheat and half bread flour. The loaves are sinking, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. What do you use for a dough enhancer? Is that something I can get at a local grocer? Also, do you think your bread recipe would work w/half whole wheat? I'd love to add flax meal to our bread as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimi, Just found your beautiful blog,I stay a while if you don't mind.

    I am new to baking bread and just recently got a breadmaker. Having lots of fun with it. My husband is a diabetic so I am trying out whole grained kind of breads (low GI) I give this a go and see how he likes it. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now Kim, I have a better idea. Unless you can figure out how to go ahead and bake in the bread machine for me, YOU make it and I'll pay you for it! I love homemade bread - but hate fiddling with baking it in the oven. :-)

    Sounds soooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday I am going to try the flaxseed bread when I get a bread maker.

    Thanks!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me hungry! I think I'll bake today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good Kim, thanks for sharing :) My honey and I need to incorporate flaxseed into our diets and this will do it :)

    Have a blessed evening!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love baking bread here at my honestead too. I used to have a bread maker it wore out and I never replaced it. But when I had one I used it like you do to mix and knead only. Baking it in the oven fills the house with wonderfullness. I used my stand mix to mix up my bread now.

    I have heard the health factors for the flax seed, and I believe I will the next time mix some in my batch. Can't hurt any. I see you use flaxseed meal..I wonder if you can use actual flax seed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faith ~ Unfortunately, you need to use either flaxseed meal or grind your own seeds. If you only use or eat the seeds, they just go right through you & you retain no benefit. I use about 1/4 c of flaxseed meal in my a 2lb. loaf.

    Enjoy!

    Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kim, next time I stop at Walnut Creek I'll pick some up..I have something flaxseed, that I used for granola, I'll have to check and see what it was. Does this make 1 loaf?

    From Ohio tooo....Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith ~ yes this recipe makes 1 2-lb loaf. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest. It's our "family" bread & I make it at least once per week.

      Blessings to a fellow Buckeye!

      Delete
  10. yippeee I did have some flax seed meal,the bread is in the rise as we speak...thank you for your help and the recipe....:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails