Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Winter on Our Homefront


When winter winds are piercing chill,
And through the hawthorn blows the gale,
With solemn feet I tread the hill,
That overbrows the lonely vale.




Where, twisted round the barren oak,
The summer vine in beauty clung,
And summer winds the stillness broke,
The crystal icicle is hung.



Alas! how changed from the fair scene,
When birds sang out their mellow lay,
And winds were soft, and woods were green,
And the song ceased not with the day!


Chill airs and wintry winds! my ear
Has grown familiar with your song;
I hear it in the opening year,
I listen, and it cheers me long.


{Longfellow}

1 comment:

  1. So glad you stopped by to let me know where to find you! Love to visit here!

    Blessings, Lea

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails