Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Adrenal Recovery Tea


When I first realized that I was going through peri-menopause/menopause symptoms, I started looking into remedies that would help me. I had begun to notice that I wasn't handling stress as well as I used to, that I was having trouble with sleep and I feared I might slip back into the insomnia that I suffered with a few years earlier; I noticed that I would dwell on the negative of almost any situation ~ or person :-( ~ that I was exhausted all . . . the . . . time. I started having sugar and carb cravings; I was slowly gaining weight and the skin on my arms and legs became rough and itchy. My eyes started looking tired and baggy, my skin was sagging. Ick. This was also around the time that we discovered my mom had Alzheimer's and there were other emotional issues that kept coming up with another close family member
Well, no wonder I wanted to pull my hair out!
In my research, I discovered that our adrenal glands are sort of a forgotten hormone-producing gland that often is completely neglected. At the health food store, when a customer comes to me with some of these symptoms, especially a woman 40+ years old, I will ask them if they have thought about adrenal stress. Nearly without fail, they will say "no." It is simply a forgotten gland. 
The first product that I started using was a fantastic product by Gaia Herbs, their Adrenal Health capsules. Gaia Herbs' capsules are filled with LIQUID herbs, liquids ALWAYS get into your system quickly, so when the capsule dissolves, the liquid herbs get into your system lickety-split. I will forever be grateful for this product.

Now, you know me . . . I am a big medicinal tea user. :-D So, I had to figure out THE combination of tea herbs to sip in a nice, relaxing, hot cup of tea . . . and I did. This is one of my favorite blends when I'm stressed or have that I'm-so-tired-I-can't-sleep feeling. This is such a wonderful blend ~ I really can't tell you how much I enjoy it and how much it helps me. I enjoy it so much ~ instead of blending it each time I make a mug ~ I make up about 1 cup of the blend and keep it in a canning jar, ready to scoop out into my tea ball. I often make up a thermos of this and take it to work to sip on all day.
You will need:

~1/4 c. holy basil
~1/8 c. schisandra berries**
~1/8 c. ashwaganda**
~1/8-1/4 c. licorice root
~1/8 c. chamomile
~tea ball/infuser 
~glass jar, tea tin or other air-tight container
~small mixing bowl
~whisk
**Optional, but preferred 
**If I especially want this to be a "sleep well" blend, I add:
~1 heaping TB cloves
~1 ts organic dried orange peel

Directions:

1) in a small mixing bowl, gently whisk all ingredients to blend; carefully pour into your air-tight container.
2) fill your tea ball/infuser with 1-1/2 ts of herbs for a mug-sized serving
3) pour hot water over the herb-filled tea ball/infuser and let steep for 10 minutes
4) take out tea ball/infuser, throw away used herbs and enjoy. You probably won't even want to "spoil" this comforting tea with honey.
5) keep what's left in you air-tight container handy for your next cup. 

Let me know how much you LOVE this tea!

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<>< 

6 comments:

  1. LOVED this post, my friend! Thanks for the tea recipe! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think this is a huge part of my problem! Where can you get these ingredients and how much does it cost to make a batch? Thanks so much for sharing this Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get mine at Healthy Alternative health food store (where I work) because I can get them in bulk, I can get as much or as little as I need. So, this mix, at this amount, might cost you about $5.00. :-)

      Delete
  3. I get mine at Healthy Alternative health food store (where I work) because I can get them in bulk, I can get as much or as little as I need. So, this mix, at this amount, might cost you about $5.00. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I have never even heard of this. I shared it on FB for my friends to check out, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails