Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Friday, January 29, 2010

Get Out of That Boat!

Isaiah 41:9 & 10 – “I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

In his book “If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat,” John Ortberg asks this question: “Where is Jesus calling you to jump to Him with reckless abandon?” Have you given that any thought lately? Or has God been nudging you to move a little farther out toward that water? Is there something Christ is telling you to “experiment” with in that still, small voice of His?…A new curriculum? A new way of structuring your homeschool day? Writing your own unit study?...Are you feeling the urge to purge all the chemicals out of your cleaning cabinet and start making your own household and personal care? To start a garden and learn how to can your own food? You may even have “stumbled” onto this blog because you know the Lord is calling you to begin homeschooling or change your life-style and you need some encouragement.
Where is Jesus calling you to jump to Him with reckless abandon?
Jesus calls us to walk in faith…faith in Him and how He will work in us through the call He put on our life. What’s holding you back in your homeschool or frugal living walk of faith? Is it fear? The reason most people don’t jump is fear. Of course, nothing as serious as a change in lifestyle should ever be
attempted without much prayer. But once you’ve prayed and the fear is still there, then what do you do? Well…Peter had to get out of that boat at some point. Was he afraid? Absolutely! Fear can be either paralyzing or motivating. Fear can make your imagination run away with you so you’ll never do what you are called to do (Will I completely ruin my child’s intellectual growth? What if I make them social misfits? What if they won’t listen to me?)…or…fear can be healthy and keep us from danger or making wrong choices (I know my child's teacher is very liberal, but surely they won't influence my child THAT much? Surely that soap isn't what's causing my child's rash?). No one loves your family more or knows them better than you. Make no mistake, a change in lifestyle is a calling. And any change needs Christ’s guidance everyday. Peter didn’t start to sink until he took his eyes off of Jesus! We need to learn from him and keep our eyes on Jesus as well.

Where is Jesus calling you to jump to Him with reckless abandon?


What boat does Jesus want you to jump out of? In the opening verse God, Himself, promises “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” Proverbs 16:3 declares, “Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed.” Wow! What incredible promises! Why do I fail to take Him up on His promises? If God has called me His servant, has told me that He has chosen me; has told me that He will strengthen me, help me and uphold me if I commit my plans to Him…what in the world am I afraid of? What are you afraid of? What are we waiting for…a push? No, jumping requires action on our part.

Where is Jesus calling you to jump to Him with reckless abandon?

He's waiting to take your hand...

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails