Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Patrick's Prayer

I am an admirer of Patrick ~ some call him "saint". I do not pray to "saints" as the Word of God says that, as Christians, we are to go directly to God's throne (Hebrews 4:16) for our help.
 Slemish, Co Amagh Ireland, where Patrick was held as a slave.

In his own time, Patrick was simply a Christian ~ as we all are. He was a dynamic, courageous, creative, sold-out man of God. I admire that in any confessing Christian. Having lived through kidnapping as a Scottish teen & thrown into slavery in Ireland, growing close to God through the lessons of nature, escaping the slavery he was thrown into, & after formal Biblical teaching HE WENT BACK to evangelize the Irish people. (Click HERE to read an earlier post I did about the story of Patrick's life.)

All that to lead you to a prayer that legend has it was said by Patrick. The legend says that he was on his way to the high king's seat at Tara, where he was to confront the pagan religion. Assassins were a-waiting Patrick & his companions, but as he chanted this hymn (as in the old Jewish custom, most hymns were chanted & not sung), the hidden assessins reported that a herd of deer were walking by & so they were thwarted the opportunity to kill Patrick

This prayer is a lovely morning devotional . . .

I arise today through the strength of Heaven:
the rays of the sun,
the radiance of the moon,
the splendor of fire,
the speed of lightning,
the swiftness of the wind, 
the depth of the sea, 
the stability of the earth,
the firmness of rock.

I arise today through the power of God:
God's might to comfort me,
God's wisom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to lead me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's Heavenly Host to save me ~
from the snares of the devil,
from temptations to sin,
from all who wish me ill,
from near and afar,
alone and with others.

May Christ shield me today ~
against poison and fire,
against drowning and wounding,
so that I may fulfill my mission
and bear fruit in abundance.

Christ behind and before me,
Christ beneath me and above me,
Christ with me and in me,
Christ around and about me,
Christ on my right and on my left,
Christ when I lie down at night,
Christ when I rise in the morning,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone that speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear the hears me.

I arise today through the might of the trinity,
Through faith in the threeness,
through trust in the oneness,
of the Maker of heaven and the Maker of earth.

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails