Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Friday, August 19, 2011

Pioneer Johnny Cakes

Feeling in that camping/outdoorsey-kinda-feeling today. Thought I'd share an old, old recipe made all the better with my homemade butter.

You will need:

1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 ts. sugar (raw preferred)
1 TB salt (I use sea salt or Real Salt)
1/2 c. cup water
bacon grease ~ for a treat, fry some maple flavored bacon & then fry the Johnny Cakes in the flavored grease. Mmmmm :-P

Directions:

~In a cast iron skillet, warm bacon grease while making the Johnny Cake mix
~In a medium bowl, w/a whisk, mix cornmeal, sugar & salt
~Add water & stir w/large spoon or spatula until it forms a paste
~Form paste into pattie & fry in melted bacon grease until they are golden brown
~Top w/butter & enjoy!

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><

2 comments:

  1. you are a girl after my own heart...homemade butter...oh that I should aspire...as you inspire...from Ohio too...have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just telling my husband about 3 days ago I wanted to make cornmeal pancakes! So, now that you posted this, I am going to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails