Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Monday, October 11, 2010

German Pancakes a.k.a Dutch Baby Pancakes

Once again, ruffling through my recipes to find something I haven't made for a while & my family will enjoy, when I found this recipe, I KNEW you would love it, too. So, I looked & found some actual photos from Google (since I haven't taken photos of my own, yet. I may replace these w/my own later. :-P) so that you can see how yummy it is!

This goes by 2 different names, so you may know one over the other.

Enjoy!! And let me know if you try this.

FYI...I've also made this w/Rice Dream vanilla flavored rice milk & Earth Balance non-hydrogenated margarine b/c 1 of my DD's has dairy allergies. It's not quite as fluffy as using regular milk & butter, but it's still very good.

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 eggs, room temp.
1 c. milk, room temp.
1 c. sifted all-purpose or bread flour (I use bread flour)

1/4 ts. vanilla extract
1/4 ts. ground cinnamon

5 TB butter (or Earth Balance non-hydrogenated margarine)

Lemon Juice (**optional ~ use only if you want it to be truly authentic)

Powdered Sugar

1) Pre-heat oven to 450*. PLACE CAST IRON SKILLET IN OVEN while it's heating, get it HOT! Prepare ingredients while oven & skillet are heating.

2) In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy; add milk, flour, vanilla & cinnamon & beat for 5 mins more until batter is thin & smooth.


3) USING AN OVEN MIT, remove skillet from oven & melt butter in it. Tilt skillet so that butter covers the entire bottom.


4) Pour all of the batter into the skillet & place back in the oven.

5) Bake 20-25 mins, until it's fluffy, puffy & golden brown! It will puff into odd shapes.

6) Remove from oven & serve immediately. The puff will go down once it's taken out of the oven.


7) Cut into wedges & place 1 on each plate! For an authentic German/Dutch pancake, top w/a couple squeezes of lemon juice & powdered sugar. We like to eat it like French toast w/syrup & powdered sugar ~OR~ w/whipped cream & fruit!

3 comments:

  1. My husband and I enjoy German pancakes, although I make mine a little diffrent from you. I melt the butter in a pot, and then pour it into an 8X8 baking dish. After I combine all the ingredients, I pour them into the dish that contains the butter. I set the oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes and walla!

    Also, I've never flavored my German pancakes with cinnamon or lemon juice. I'll have to try that the next time I make them.

    Blessings,

    -Lady Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear lady, for posting my dinner menu for tomorrow evening! :-) Love ya...hope that things are going well for you. Thinking especially of your mom's health issues.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails