Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Recently, there was a commentor on a HOMESCHOOL blog who is a Christian public school teacher. As often happens...in my humble opinion...our choice to homeschool our children is wrongly seen as a failure to evangelize the schools. This 'argument' really ruffles my feathers b/c, as I read Scripture, there is NO place where God sends children out to evangelize, only adults. She also said that there was no Bible verse to suggest that homeschooling was a Biblical option. Oh, and another thing...they commented as "Anonymous." Brave. :-/ Not.
Below is my response to her. I'd be interested in your thoughts...
Praise God that you are a Christian teacher in a pagan/public school! The unsaved world needs YOU...but NOT OUR children. Our children are home where they belong.
Children were NEVER intended to be sent out among the wolves of this unsaved world to evangelize...NEVER.
~ Jesus/God NEVER sent children...
- The 72 that Jesus sent out were TRAINED ADULTS; not children.
- The apostles/disciples were TRAINED ADULTS; not children.
- The ONLY time in the Bible we see children being involved in pagan education is Moses and Daniel, Shadrach, Meshack and Abednego (which, by the way, were the names the pagans gave to them). Those young men were there because they were captives.
- We are breaking our children free of a pagan, anit-Christian system.
- You are taking your place as an ADULT carrying on the word of Christ in a fallen world...you are in your correct, Biblical role as an adult, children sent to p.s. to 'evangelize' are not.
~ A homeschool Bible verse? How about Deut. 6:6-7..."These commandments that I [God] give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on [teach them to] your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." In other words: ALL THE TIME. HOW can we do that if they spend 24,000+ hours of their most teachable, most impressionable years AWAY from our homes being taught the lies of evolution as truth...rewritten history as truth...deviant sexual practices as "just another way to love" and as truth by a person, a stranger to their family, in "authority" over them? By someone who is not a Christian? By someone who is NOT YOU?! Even YOU are REQUIRED to teach the lies and distortions in your textbooks. I AM NOT!!
~ Jesus, Himself, didn't enter His own ministry until He was 30. Even Luke 2:52 insinuates that Jesus went home w/His PARENTS to be instructed: "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor w/God and men." He grew in wisdom and stature AT HOME. When Jesus was growing up, as a good Jewish boy, He followed the Jewish tradition of family education:
1) The 1st level of education was ALWAYS at home. They were taught, from birth, the Torah and all Scriptural and family knowledge was passed down orally and memorized. They were HOMESCHOOLED.
2) The 2nd level of Jewish education was called Bet Sefer, which means 'House of the Book.' Children in this level were from ages 6 (officially) to 10. Here is where they began memorizing and learning about the Torah in full.
3) The 3rd level, Bet Talmud (House of Learning), would be where children between 10 to 14 (especially since a 13 year old boy was considered a man after his Bar-mitzvah, he could learn outside the home) decided whether they were to continue w/their father's trade (more homeschooling) OR move on to be educated by the Rabbis and study/learn/memorize the entire O.T. This is where they would "take on" the "likeness" of their teacher/Rabbi. This is where Jesus' warning that "A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher" (Luke 6:40) is to be fully heeded in our culture. This is both a promise AND a warning...I don't want my children to be like the teachers I see in the public school system...I want my daughters to grow up to be the mothers - the hands that rock the cradle - of tomorrow, sons to be the leaders of tomorrow...to be the godly fathers and husband/wives and mothers of tomorrow. To be the missionaries, the preachers, the godly business owners, the statesmen and women, the entertainers...and even the teachers...of tomorrow!!
We believe that we are following the path God laid out for us in this fallen, fallen world...to show them the path of righteousness and to groom them, to train them, to coach them, to nourish them just as a gardener tends their seedlings, until it is TIME for them to step out into the mud of this world, be planted and grow...and be productive BECAUSE they were protected, nourished and taught how to grow and produce AT HOME.
YOU are where you should be...YOU are an adult. Our children need to be at home...where they belong.
Blessings from Ohio, Kim<><