Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Icky-Sticky Grease Cutter


Just in case you don't know, I live in an old house. The original part of the house is 170+ years old. Of course, there have been many, many up-dates through the years and even some of those up-dates are old

For instance, my range cover. The "dear" (eh-hem) old people who lived in this house for about 40 years before us, merely "up-dated" (and I say that with MUCH GRACE) simply to make it livable for themselves. In the 17 years we've lived here, each time we repair or improve something we find out just how good God has been to us, in that, this house hasn't burned down over our heads! 

One of the "improvements" that came with the house was an old range hood with the obligatory over-the-stove light and exhaust fan . . . only . . . we can't use the exhaust fan because it goes up into my cupboards and into the wall. 

*sigh*

And without an exhaust fan, all the icky-sticky grease from everyday cooking attaches itself onto the stove back splash and the exhaust hood. 

Over the years I have used commercial cleaners, grease cutters and my own homemade soft scrub, which only go "so far." My soft scrub is one of my favorite cleaners but it is, admittedly, better for counter tops, sinks, tubs and showers. 
Earlier today, I had a EUREKA moment ~ I was making some of my homemade toothpaste and while pouring in the hydrogen peroxide, I thought, "why not try this with some baking soda on the range hood?" I grabbed my hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, mixed them in a shallow dish, wet a sponge and went to work . . .

WELL! . . . 
Sure enough! Not only did it completely whisk away the icky-sticky greasy crud from my range hood like butter . . . but . . . it also got the formerly unremovable grease marks off of the tile back splash!!!!
Looks like new. I am tickled pink.

Just had to tell you. So, leave me a comment and let me know how much you LOVE this cleaner.

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<>< 

1 comment:

  1. You got my attention! I have a similar situation here. I am looking forward to trying this method next time I clean the range. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails