Thursday, April 25, 2013
Sage & Nettle Scalp Cleaning Tincture
So many of us like to wash our hair every day or every-other-day, usually depending upon how oily our scalp is. But there are times ~ like if you have a new perm, corn-rows, dreds, if you are sick and can't take a bath or shower, on vacation, camping in a remote area, on a missions trip, etc ~ that we can't just jump in the shower and suds-up with our favorite shampoo.
For those times, our scalp still needs a good cleansing and freshening so that our scalp and hair stays healthy and, frankly, we may start to offend those around us and our ~ eh-hem ~ "natural" odor.
Here is a great scalp treatment tincture that you can use anytime, but especially during those times where & when we are hard-pressed for convenience.
You will need:
~1 qt-sized canning jar w/tight-fitting lid (metal or gasket)
~1 pt or 1/2 pt-sized canning jar (for a possible container)
~1 eye-dropper OR dropper-bottles (for a possible container)
~1/4 c dried nettle leaves
~1/4 c dried sage leaves
~2-1/2 c vodka (w/no added sweeteners or flavors)
1) stuff the dried herbs in the qt-sized canning jar & pour in enough vodka to cover the top
2) cover top of canning jar with plastic wrap and then screw on the metal lid or close the gasket lid tightly
3) Shake 30-45 times
4) store the jar in a cool, dark place for 4 weeks
5) **REMEMBER** shake jar for about 30 seconds EACH DAY for 4 weeks
6) at the end of the 4 weeks, strain the herbs through a fine strainer; press or squeeze the herbs on the strainer to get as much of the liquid as possible for your tinture
7) pour tincture into another canning jar OR into dropper-bottles (which ever you choose for your container); store in a cabinet out of the light, tincture should last about 2 years
1) with a dropper, apply to various areas directly onto your scalp
2) 1-3 dropper-fulls should cover your whole scalp
3) with your finger-tips, gently massage your scalp for 2-5 minutes
4) USE A DARK TOWEL to blot any excess, DO NOT comb or brush out but let it air dry
Just so you know . . .
Nettle is good for over-all health a added shine for your hair. ALSO . . . it has been known to help with hair growth, both on healthy heads AND for those who may be balding.
Sage also aids in hair growth by encouraging blood flow to the hair follicles, it reduces odor AND it naturally reduces gray hair :-D (you can thank me for that later ~ lol).
Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><