Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Growing Older Together...A Privilege

One of my favorite movies in recent years is "P.S. I Love You". Granted, there are parts that are blipped past with the remote control, but I love the premise of the story: a young lady's husband dies young; while he is preparing for his death he makes secret plans to have pre-written letters sent to his grieving wife at certain times during the 1st year after his death. He also gifts her & 2 of her friends with a trip to his beloved homeland of Ireland, where they met, to bring her back to recognizing the foundations of where she came from and remind her of the promising person she really is...with or without him.

In the process of this 1st year without her husband, Gerry, Holly also befriends 2 other men. One of them is a new employee at her mother's Irish pub, Daniel. While Daniel & Holly are in a park they see an old couple there who are thoroughly enjoying each other in their old age. In my opinion, Daniel, then, says one of the very best lines in the whole movie: "We're so arrogant, aren't we? So afraid of age, we do everything we can to prevent it. We don't realize what a privilege it is to grow old with someone." Wonderful. And how true.

One of my daughters & I were watching this movie (again!) last night & that line just rang out to me.

I LOVE MY DEAR HUSBAND! We have been married 26 years & it has gone by in a flash. There have been deeply sorrowful times (yesterday was the 25th anniversary of our 1st daughter's passing, we have both lost a parent, losses suffered after job lay offs, etc.) & we have been through glorious, happy times (the births of our other daughters, happy vacations, sharing in ministry together, etc.) and I can't imagine going through any of it with anyone else.

Yes, Heaven is our sure reward, as Christians, and we long to be in the presence of the Lord...but our years here on earth are a reward, too. And, like "Daniel," I wonder why we try to pretend that years do not pass? Why do we dread their passing? Why do we fight it? Is it the wrinkles? Is it the pain of old joints or of the losses of life's loved-ones that we all must face? "Yes" to all of that, but even more...THOSE THINGS are what make us the people that the Lord wants us to be. By living life we have so much to offer! ~"Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?" (Job 12:12)

He uses all of our experiences to minister to each other...and to others.

When our daughter died, friends & even relatives that we had no idea had suffered the same loss came to us to grieve with us as no others really could; since then, we have been blessed to to the same. When we had 2 miscarriages, the same thing happened. (II Cor. 1:3-4) When all those people were gone, WE were to ones who held each other through the long, long nights of prayer & tears until the new light of day called us to start again. And I can't imagine going through that with anyone else.

I treasure my years with my husband. He's not perfect ~ neither am I ~ but he IS perfect for me. I know he loves me and when I look at him I still see that handsome young man who stood at the end of the isle and took my hand from my Daddy's. I still see that sweet young man with all those hopes & dreams of family life & ministry lying ahead of us. All of our dreams have not come true although many have, and I'd live it all over again with him and I look forward to many more years together as our hair greys and more wrinkles emerge.

It is a privilege to live this life together "until the Lord shall come or death shall separate us."

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

8 comments:

  1. Kim..what a heart touching post! You are very blessed :)

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm typing this through tears that are rolling down my cheeks. Kim, this is an absolutely beautiful post. We are two blessed women - you and I. Living our lives with the man that God had for just us!

    Love you, Sister,
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    This very nice....I feel the same way about my hubby, we have been married for 33yrs.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kim, your words brought me to tears!
    What a beautiful tribute to your hubby and your marriage. To grow old with our beloved spouse is a joy to treasure and look forward to. A real blessing from the Lord!
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful post :-)
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful post, Kim! I also feel the same way- I met my husband in high school-we were both just 15! We were married 4 years later and by the grace of God have been together for 38 years. It has been an amazing journey as we have watched God in His great mercy, show Himself to us time and time again. It has gone by way too fast! So thankful! To God be the Glory!
    With love from the Cabin,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the sweetest thing I've read in a very long time. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing and sweet post! Thank you for sharing :0)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails