Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Themed Herb Gardens


I've kept an herb/veggie garden in the past, but this year, because I knew I wouldn't have quite so much time to devote to it, I've decided to downsize ~ hoping to have a bigger garden next year, again ~ and just have a small herb garden for now.
 Wouldn't you love to 
stroll through this 
garden?
All I have currently is rosemary, sage, lavender, echinacea, cilantro, dill, oregano and chamomile. Love my herbs.
 Above are some herbs that
are still in my mini hot houses (baggies),
below are some that are ready
for transplant into my herb baskets
for the front porch
(I wait until they are at least
1" high to transplant)
I still have some "babies" in my window ~ using plastic baggies over the starter pots as mini hot houses. But after I write this, I'm going to transplant them into my cute little herb baskets that I found at Meijers, and set them on my porch. I still want a strawberry pot, but none were around when/where I was looking this year.
 Strawberry Pot
Another idea that I LOVE and will HAVE to try someday, is to use an old wagon wheel for herb garden sections. Isn't that cute?
 Wagon Wheel Garden
I am a sucker for books on herbs, essential oils and home rememdies, so on one of my weekly visits to my favorite bulk food store a while back, I picked up a sweet little book called, "The Beauty of Herbs" by Jessica Dorfsmith. The best part: it's written from a Christian viewpoint.
Her first rule for using herbs states: "Carefully avoid New Age or witchcraft influences sometimes associated with herbs. Accept herbs for what they are: a gift from God for the benefit of man, to be properly used and never abused." Amen, sister!

So much of her philosophy and uses of herbs are very similar to mine, even some of her recipes are almost identical. Something that she writes about are "Theme Gardens." A small patch with herbs that meet specific needs ~ I've done that and it's my favorite way to plan. Another thing I want to get back to next year.

This is what Jessica has to say about them . . . 

Herbs planted in separate small gardens, each with its own theme, is gardening at its best! It's also good for the beginning herb gardener, preventing confusion between culinary and medicinal herbs . . . The following ideas are simply that: ideas! Use them as a springboard to get your imagination running. Choose herbs that do best in your climate, suit your family's medicinal needs, and please your eyes and taste buds.

TEA-TIME GARDEN ~ 

Mint                       Chamomile
Lemon balm       Catnip
Lemon thyme     Fennel
Lime and Lemon Basil          Bergamot

CULINARY HERB GARDEN ~

Chives                    Savory
Basil                       Sage
Oregano                Parsley
Cilantro                 Thyme

IMMUNE-BUILDER GARDEN ~

Echinacea            Horehound
Chamomile         Horseradish
Peppermint         Lemon Balm
Mullein                 Rosemary

These are just a few of her ideas. I'm looking forward to using some of these ideas next year.

What do you like to plant?

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I've got Lavender, Lemon Verbena, Scented Rose Geranium, Basil, Cilantro, Chamomile. Some were started from seed and are just coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Rosemary, how could I have forgotten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of a 'themed' herb garden. I have a good size vegetable garden but I haven't made use of too many herbs. I grow basil, dill, oregano, cilantro, spearmint and just purchased a chocolate mint for tea. One problems is that the cilantro bolts WAY before my tomatoes are ready. Maybe I should dry the cilantro and then add to the salsa when the tomatoes are done? Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! I purchased a wagon wheel at a garage sale for herbs but haven't found the ideal spot for it. I have a large culinary herb garden, but would like to do more with medicinal herbs. The book you suggested sounds good!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails