Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Friday, June 7, 2013

Homemade Deep Tissue Oil



According to my stat reader & the Popular Posts (near the bottom of this page), one of my most popular posts has been the Mustard Poultice for Chest Congestion. Below is an oil recipe that will do much the same thing and is a little less messy.

Now, keep in mind that this will take 6 WEEKS to cure. So, be sure to make this in plenty of time so that you will have it on-hand for winter colds and seasonal allergies.

Also keep in mind that this is strong and very effective. Just as some may not be able to tolerate the mustard poultice on their skin very long, some of you may have to dilute this oil with just a bit (a ts or so) of olive oil.


You will need:

~a glass pint canning jar
~1/4 c dried habenero peppers
~1/4 c grated ginger root
~1/2 c calendula flowers
~St. Johns Wort flowers
~Arnica flowers
~olive oil
After 6 weeks you will need:
~1 oz botanical menthol crystals
~4 oz wintergreen essential oil
~2 oz peppermint essential oil
~strainer or cheese cloth
~small food funnel
~glass bottles with good lids, a gasket lid or dropper bottles ~ preferably amber-colored bottles

Directions:

1) In the canning jar, put in the habenero peppers, ginger root, calendula flowers, ST. Johns Wort flowers and Arnica flower
2) Cover with olive oil; at least 6 oz
3) Let set for 6 weeks; giving it a few shakes once per day
After 6 weeks:
1) Strain out herbs
2) Heat the oil until just warm, add the botanical menthol chrystals ~ cover the pot for just a moment in case it fizzes, then . . .
3) add the wintergreen and peppermint essential oils; stir well
4) using a small funnel, pour the oil into your desired glass bottles, make sure they have a good lid. 

This wonderful oil will keep for years. Again, for children or people with sensitive skin, you may want to dilute it with just a little bit of olive oil.

This will be your new "go-to-fix-anything" oil :-)

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><
{See disclaimer at bottom of this page}

7 comments:

  1. I continue to love the recipes you share. I am going to send this link to my daughter.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you & your daughter can use it. It's very effective. Also, I love your new photo :-)

      Blessings to you, LeAnn, from Ohio . . .

      Delete
  2. Just made this recipe and I think it a little on the weak side, specifically not hot enough or pungent enough...(I'm comparing to ABP Deep tissue oil). Could I add more habenero pepper and let it sit for a while? how long? then add more menthol? Has anyone played with this? I made a big batch out of the gate (x4) and used 2L of olive oil - that's what I needed to cover the herbs... Yes, I know...try things in smaller batches while learning :) Lesson learned! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I have no idea what ABP is, so I don't know what to compare this to. But, it you want if stronger, you may want to increase the peppers ~ also try increasing the menthol and wintergreen. Then let it sit for another 2 weeks. The longer it sits, the more potent it will be. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  3. Sorry - American Botanical Pharmacy (Dr Schultz - the Herb Doc's company) In what quantities would you recommend increasing menthol? Peppers? I don't have any more wintergreen oil, so I'm going to start with the peppers and menthol... Thanks for commenting back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After thinking about it, I would start with increasing the menthol, 1/4 oz at most, before adding more peppers. See if that is satisfying. Be careful adding more peppers as they may burn the skin. Menthol may add a little "heat," but not in that same way peppers do.

      Delete
  4. Hello! I will give this a try:) Are the flowers and the ginger dried or fresh?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails