Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Flax Seed ~ So Much Good from Such a Little Seed

I have used flax seed, in one way or another, for at least 6 years. Originally, while doing some research for natural health care for peri-menopause symptoms, I started to see flax seed, flax seed meal & flax seed oil come up again and again; most especially as it related to women's health.

So, the first way we used it is that THE Man & I started taking a Tablespoon per day of the oil. Some like it, some don't; I usually tell customers (I work at a health food market) who have never tasted it before that it tastes like a greasy nut. :-) lol. And if you don't like the taste or the texture of oil in your mouth, you can always put it in your smoothie, in your salad or cottage cheese, mix it in your hot cereal, etc. Just take it!


After THE Man and I started taking it, I wanted our, then, teen daughters to benefit from it ~ they DID NOT like the oily feeling of taking a Tablespoon of the oil! So, in looking for other ways for them to take it, THAT is when I started putting 1/4c of the flax seed meal in my family bread. By putting it in my homemade bread, not only did they like the sweeter, nuttier taste better than my original bread, but now they are getting the benefits of the flax. Problem solved. :-)

Flax seed, in various forms, can be used in several different ways for several different issues. **PLEASE NOTE** that in order to get the benefits of flax when you use it, you must take it either as a meal (ground-up flax seeds) or in the oil. Simply eating flax seeds does your body no good and wastes your money ~ they pass right through you. (FYI ~ For the rest of this post, when I refer to flax seeds or flax oil, I am ALSO including the use of flax seed meal ~ unless specifically mentioned; I simply don't want to write it out every time.)

Flax seeds are mostly known for their extremely high levels of Omega 3, 6 and 9 essential fatty acids (EFAs). In the oil form, you will get about 3x more Omega's/EFAs than in fish oil, plus you won't burp it up or taste the fishy taste. I often recommend it to vegetarians/vegans or people who are new at taking EFAs, because I trust it from personal experience.

Another great thing about flax seed oil is that it contains high amount of lignans. Lignans are cancer fighters and are increasingly known to have positive effect on breast, colon, prostate and skin cancers. AND . . . can slow down the aging process. Woohoo! 


Flax is simply amazing in the health benefits it provides 

~taking it regularly can inhibit artery inflammation and reduce plaque, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, reducing the risk are heart disease. This same anti-inflammatory process can reduce symptoms of gout, lupis and reduce fibrous cysts in the breast by boosting the body's ability to absorb iodine. 

~being a fibrous seed AND anti-inflammatory, flax can help greatly with your elimination process. It helps with constipation and can relieve diverticulitis symptoms by keeping the "pouches" free of excess waste. And get this ~ it can actually help heal some of the damage in the intestinal tract. When your bowls work more smoothly, the whole process is less painful and stressful upon your body.

~a great benefit that I remember noticing in just a few short days was the difference in my skin. Because of the EFAs, my skin became better hydrated and smooth, plus it is also one of the things that I think helped rid me of my deep cystic acne (along with my homemade face wash and skin tonic). My hair has a rich shine to it, even as I age, and my nails are healthier and do not split and peal as they used to. You may also notice a difference in the severity of your eczema and dry eye symptoms, as well.

~as mentioned before, I started researching the benefits of flax on peri-menopausal/menopausal symptoms; it became a major part of my peri-menopausal/menopausal regime (1 TB flax seed oil, progesterone cream and 1,300 mg of Evening Primrose Oil, daily). I believe that this helped greatly reduce and control my hot flashes, mood swings and hormone levels during and after that transition. One the 1-year "anniversary" of my last mense, I asked THE Man if he realized that I had gone through menopause for the last year. He was stunned. He had no idea ~ I'm guessing he was waiting for me to mood swing right off the deep end and pull his hair out during the change! lol. I credit my little regime for my health and relatively easy transition. Also to be noted ~ flax helps greatly with menstrual cramps, heavy flow and in fighting endrometriosis. 

~and not to leave out our men-folk ~ the fiber and EFAs in flax can also help reduce inflammation of the prostate gland and even some infertility symptoms by keeping the sperm healthy and increasing blood flow.


So much good from such a little seed. God is SO GOOD in His provision for His children.

{ Not meant as medical advice. Please see disclaimer at bottom of this page.}

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><

1 comment:

  1. I also use the flax meal to replace eggs in many baked goods. In most you see no difference or sometimes a more moist product. Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails