Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Monday, March 26, 2012

Marmee-isms ~#26~ Queens of Their Castles


"I don't think I ever ought to call myself 'Unlucky Jo' again, when my greatest wish has been so beautifully gratified," said Mrs. Bhaer [Jo after marriage] . . .

"And yet your life is very different from the one you pictured so long ago. Do you remember our castles in the air?" asked Amy . . .

"Yes, I remember; but the life I wanted then seems selfish, lonely, and cold to me now. I haven't given up the hope that I may write a good book yet, but I can wait, and I'm sure it will be all the better for such experiences and illustrations as these;" and Jo pointed . . . to her mother, sitting enthroned among her daughters, with their children in her lap and at her feet, as if all found help and happiness in the face which never could grow old to them . . .

"Yes, Jo, I think your harvest will be a good one," began Mrs. March . . .

"Not half so good as yours, Marmee. Here it is, and we never can thank you enough for the patient sowing and reaping you have done," cried Jo, with the loving impetuosity which she never could outgrow.

"I hope there will be more wheat and fewer tares every year," said Amy softly.

"A large sheaf, but I know there's room in your heart for it, Marmee dear," added Meg's tender voice.

Touched to the heart, Mrs. March could only stretch out her arms, as if to gather children and grandchildren to herself, and say, with face and voice full of motherly love, gratitude, and humility, ~

"O my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this!"

Little Women ~ Ch. 47

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><

2 comments:

  1. What a very uplifting post on Little Women today. I must re-read this book again. I love the thoughts and the enlightening moments that you bring out in your post on this book. There is such sweet happiness when holding your own baby and then your own grandchildren. Precious moments for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails