Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Word-Filled Wednesday ~31~ Leaving a Legacy

PASSAGE: "Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?" ~Job 12:12

"Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children." ~Prov. 17:6


LESSON LEARNED: My husband & I are in the time of our lives when we are in those "middle years." We are in the middle of aging parents, who in some respects are becoming children again, & children who are becoming adults.

We have each lost a parent & I remember the first time I went back to my parents' home after my Daddy had died & thinking: "his fingerprints are all over this place. And his "fingerprints", in the way of relationship & influence, are all over me, too." This causes me to wonder: does my life show that my Heavenly Father's fingerprints are all over me? And w/God's influence, are my fingerprints all over our daughters?

One of the ways I hope to leave a legacy, an influence, in our daughters' lives is that over the years I have been copying down the sermon notes that I take every Sunday. I copy them into notebooks. Some have pretty covers, some have Scripture on the cover & some (my favorites) look aged & worn w/"stains" of time on the cover & pages . . .

While I'm copying the sermon notes I also add my own thoughts, Scripture that comes to my mind, words to worship songs that are appropriate to the sermon or are simply a favorite that has touched my heart. I purposed to write these things down so that, in years to come, my daughters ~ & possibly even my grandchildren & future generations, should the Lord tarry ~ will have my thoughts on the Lord & how He has acted in my life written in my own hand-writing. Written w/reverence, devotion, thanksgiving & love for the Lord.

I try to live my life in such a way as to be some sort of a godly influence in the lives of my family (hopefully, I'm getting better as I age), & even though they have their own free will (scary in itself) I hope that something I have said, something I have written, will always lead them to God's Word, the only true Source of life's direction.

Let that be my legacy. What's yours?

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I hope that my life has been... and will be a legacy for the Lord. I know I have failed...and I will fail...but in His might, I am gonna keep on trying...keep on praying ...and keep on living for Him.

    Sometimes when it looks like I am not making a difference in people's lives, I can become discouraged. There have been times when I felt like giving up. BUT the Lord didn't give up on me....and he faithfully went to the cross on my behalf. He is faithful even when I am not. And He pulls me up by His loving hand and helps me to keep on keepin' on.

    He used your post today to encourage me too!

    Thanks so much. (I enjoyed this music on your blog!) It perked me up and made me feel energetic! I am part Irish..and love that music. (:>)

    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails