Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Word-Filled Wednesday ~#106~ Daddy's Girl

"Yet I am not ashamed, because I know Whom I have believed." ~II Timothy 1:12

"I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the LORD Almighty." ~II Corinthians 6:18


Last Sunday, our pastor raised an interesting question:

"What would God have to say about my
relationship with Him?"

 Wow. Just hit me between the eyes, why don't ya?! 

So, I had to do some thinking about that.

Now, I was and will always be, a daddy's girl. I had just about the best earthly father God ever blessed anyone with. I always looked up to my daddy, I adored my daddy and I was unashamedly his princess.  He would always give you the best advice that he knew how and he was quick to help in any way he could. He was funny and sharp and there weren't too many things I'd rather do than talk and laugh and simply be with my daddy.

Now that my earthly daddy is with the Lord (we lost him suddenly in 1999), the Lord has become more of my Father than ever. And, I love to talk to my Father. As I have mentioned in earlier posts from time-to-time, I have tried to train myself to make my thought-life an on-going conversation with the Lord, as Brother Lawrence recommended. Let's face it, as much as we want to, as many good intentions that we may have, there are days when we simply can't sit down to a dedicated prayer time

I have found that I can easily shoot up a quick prayer for myself of someone else, for the words to say when witnessing to someone or answering a tough question or wisdom in dealing with my children. I can laugh with Him, I can thank Him for that red-tailed hawk that I know he sat on that telephone pole just for me. I can talk to Him about the wonders of a star-lit night as I take the dog out for her last walk of the day. To call up to Him when an emergency happens or I see someone in distress on the highway. When I need wisdom, quickly.

God wants us to WANT to talk to Him. It doesn't have to be long flowery "King James" prayers ~ He knows who you are, He knows where you are, He knows the real you. He just wants you to be real with Him ~ TALK to Him.

In his book, The Practice of the Presence of God, Brother Lawrence said,

"He does not ask much of us, merely a thought of Him from time-to-time, a little act of adoration, sometimes to ask for His grace, sometimes to offer Him your sufferings, at other times to thank Him for the graces, past and present, He has bestowed on you, in the midst of your troubles to take solace in Him as often as you can. Lift up your heart to Him during your meals and in company; the least little remembrance will always be the most pleasing to Him. One need not cry out very loudly; He is nearer to us than we think."     

Yes, every father loves to talk to his children. Oh, how our dear heavenly Father loves to converse with us. And the more you talk to Him, the more you'll know what He thinks about your relationship with Him . . . 

that YOU are his precious child.

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><  

1 comment:

  1. I really love this post. It makes me laugh because I do allot of "drive bys" with Him. They happen in many places in the barn, the kitchen, back twenty acres while dancing with my Great Pyrenees. Well you get it! I always start out with" Lord I think you know what I mean "because I am always feeling that I am a bit shy of what a real pray should be. And I feel Him smiling at me. I toss out everything from "God if you really love this English Setter dog of mine then have her stop barking before I do" to "Please , please keep giving me the strength to get through this journey my husband is on". And there is always a sign He has heard, maybe not immediately but when it comes I know. Thank you my friend again for your words.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails