Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Kentucky Wilted Salad

As far as our American family tree blooms, both sides of my family hale from the beautiful hills and hollers of Eastern Kentucky. In my humble opinion, Kentucky is one of the most beautiful states in our Union. Lush greenery, mineral-rich fields and water sources, and some of the kindest, funniest, most pleasant people you could ever meet.

Lots of wonderful memories.

As a first generation Buckeye (Ohioan), I cook more like a Kentuckian. One of my favorite dishes to eat is also one of the simplest: Wilted Salad


You will need:

~a large head of Romaine and/or Bib lettuce (Red Leaf Romaine makes a lovely presentation)
~1-2 c dandelion greens
~1/2-1 c chopped green onions (scallions) 
~1 c bacon grease, warmed
~2-3 ts sugar (I use Turbinado sugar [Sugar in the Raw])
~salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1) tear or shred all lettuce and greens
2) mix all lettuce, greens and onions together in a large salad bowl
3) stir sugar into bacon grease until it dissolves
4) pour over salad and toss
5) serve; salt and pepper to taste

Now . . . you know me . . . sometimes I just can't leave well-enough alone O:-) so from time-to-time I do a little "improving" upon my dear wilted salad.

If you wish, add sliced mushrooms, spinach, bean sprouts, boiled egg slices and/or seasoned croutons to your wilted salad.

Enjoy this simple staple.

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails