Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Friday, August 10, 2012

Homemade Foot Detox Recipe


I am on my feet walking, walking, walking all day at my job at the health food store. Some days I wish I had a pedometer on so that I could see how far I walk each day. And with the still fresh memory of how my mom suffered to the point of death with her feet circulation issues (brought on by 40+ years of wearing high heels at her job at a high-end department store) & then compounded by circulation problems associated with Alzheimer's Desease, all still fresh in my mind; I am determined to include the care of my feet with the rest of my over-all personal health care.

One way that we can all take better care of our feet AND help our entire body feel it's best is to do an occasional foot detox. Some will say to do it once a week, twice a month, once a month . . . you get the picture. I simply say to do it when you feel that you are noticeably run down either physically or mentally, you are recovering from a cold, flu or other illness, you've had poison ivy, oak or if like me, you are on your feet a lot.

Foot detoxing is a great way to reduce aches, pains, over-all tiredness and even headaches.

You will need:

1 pan large enough to fit both of your feet covered with water
hot water enough to cover your feet up to your ankles
1 c. sea salt
1 c. Epsom salts (great source of magnesium and sulper)
2 c. baking soda
1 TB fresh, grated ginger root
2 TB dried sage (great for foot and body odor)
5-10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil 
1 towel or blanket 
a handful of clean, smooth creek rocks (**optional**)
a jar with a good lid

Directions:

~ Mix all ingredients EXCEPT eucalyptus essential oil and fresh grated ginger root & the rocks.


To use:

~ Pour the hot water into the pan & add 1/4 c. of the detox salt mix 
~ Add the eucalyptus essential oil & fresh grated ginger root ONLY at the time of use
~ Carefully submerge your feet in the hot water ~ please DO NOT scald yourself. If you need to pour in a cup or two of cold water, do it.
~ If you like, put in a handful of clean, smooth creek rocks to give your little piggies a something to do while they soak. :-)
~ Cover pan & feet with a large towel or blanket to hold in some of that relaxing heat
~ Let soak for about 30 minutes
~ Dry your feet & liberally apply your favorite lotion or my Very Simple Chamomile Healing Salve.
~ Keep the left-over detox salt mix in a jar with a good lid for your next use.

Leave me some love by way of a comment & let me know how you LOVE this when you try it.

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><

16 comments:

  1. Oh Kim - this sounds wonderful! I want to try it! I need some essential oils so I'll put eucalyptus on my list. My feet are a mess right now and I've been thinking they need a good soaking but just haven't taken the time. I keep seeing the detox foot bath at the skin care place I go to and the picture shows the water after detox as black - ick! It's $94 per treatment so I've never tried it. Does this produce similar results?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather ~ No, it doesn't turn the water black, but just a sort of light gray. Let me know how you like it when you try it.

      Blessings . . .

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to try this! Sounds so soothing for tired feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time to your blog. I have enjoyed peeping around.
    How do I find your playlist? I clicked on the box and I couldn’t get anywhere?? I love this song that is playing for me now. Don’t know the name but do know it is a Celtic hymn. I’ve heard Fernando Ortega sing this.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! Thank you for stopping by, I hope you will visit often. Just got to www.mixpod.com ~ it's free. I had to find a different music provider when PlayList quit letting people put their personal lists on their blogs. :-/

      This song David Crowder is singing in "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" ~ & you are right, it is an old Celtic hymn. I, too, have Fernando Ortega's CD w/him singing it. He blesses my heart ~ we've seen him in person at least 3 times.

      Blessings . . .

      Delete
  4. This is on my to do list for this weekend :) !
    Thank you, Kim.
    Blessings,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine ~ it blesses my heart that you visit. Let me know how you like the soak.

      Blessings . . .

      Delete
  5. Sounds delightful. I need to try a foot soak.
    I need to try that foot soak.

    I used to sell diamonds in a jewelry store where we wore high heels all day and I have foot issues too...especially since I have gained weight.

    I enjoy wearing crocs sandals and flip flops, with the extra cushions on my heels. I wear them all of the time instead of going barefoot in the house...and when I go out. They really are wonderful. And now they have cute styles too.

    I can walk all day at an amusement park and keep up with the grandkids without any problems! They are amazing!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for comfy shoes. My favorites are the Anne Kalso Earth Shoes (now that they are available in the USA again) & Birkenstocks. Function & comfort over style for me, these days!

      Blessings . . .

      Delete
  6. After being on my feet, chopping thistles today, this looks like a full body soak solution! I think I'll feed the kitten, feed myself and then go have a long soak. Many thanks for the reminder to take care of me.
    smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to read your sharing. It is so useful to us. I also find out this site, hope it can help: isagenix forum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how wonderful! You will want to spoil yourself over & over w/this. Enjoy!

    Blessings . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be doing this soon! Just have to get some fresh ginger. Do you happen to have a recommendation for an alternative EO besides Eucalyptus? I am super allergic to Eucalyptus, even the EO of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this foot soak! You can use sage EO along w/the sage herb ~ especially if you suffer from excessive foot odor, peppermint EO is always good to rejuvenate those aching feet, lavender is good for a night-time soak ~ kills odor, beginning signs of any fungus and relaxes. Enjoy!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails