Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Homemade Face Scrub Additive

Well, if you've read this blog for any length of time, you know that I try to live a frugal life. I have also found that a majority of the time, what I make ~ particularly in skin care ~ far exceeds my expectations. Saving money, knowing exactly what's in my product AND being able to pronounce everything in it, customizing the product to fit my (and my family's) needs ~ there's just nothing like it. Once you start making your own health care, personal care and home care products, it will be VERY hard to go back. 
 Google Images
It is also no secret that I tend to be more on the oily side of skin issues. Even now that I'm in my 50's! Most of my life, I suffered from terrible deep, cystic acne ~ spent thousands of dollar$ through the years on dermatologists who's "help" did nothing but make my skin red and flaky and the meds messed with my hormones. Not good. UNTIL . . . I started experimenting and discovered my own simple, effective face wash and toner. That was 7 years ago (as of this writing) and I have never looked back. 

(**NOTE: I am a health and beauty buyer at a heath food market and am blessed to be able to try samples of new products, and I do just that: TRY them. I ALWAYS return to my own products.**)

Many times, especially those of us with a thicker skin-type, we like to use a little somethin'-somethin' to takes those dead surface cells off of our face so that our other skin products can work more effectively, our make-up will go on smoother and so that our skin looks a little fresher, a little younger. So, we will make the EXTRA purchase of an EXTRA face wash to do the deed. And that product will sit in your cabinet and maybe go stale or dry out while it waits to be used . . . because . . . in the midst of your busy schedule and the rush of your morning or exhaustion of your evening, we'll forget to use it. Right?

Well, I may just have the answer to your problems ~ a way to save you money AND have a product that can remain on the shelf for long periods of time . . . a powdered face scrub ADDITIVE.

With this scrub, you add a VERY small amount to your favorite face wash and ~ voila ~ you have just made a whole new product: a face scrub that you simply use WHEN you need it.
 Google Images
You Will Need:

~1/4 c. baking soda 
~1-1/2 to 2 ts. spinach powder
~1 ts. cinnamon powder
~1 ts. dried calendula flowers (*optional* for drier skin)
~4-5 drops of lavender essential oil
~2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil
~small mixing bowl
~whisk
~small jar or small decorative canning jar or other container, with tight-fitting lid   

Directions:

1) In a small bowl, use a whisk to blend the baking soda, spinach powder and cinnamon powder. IF you have a drier skin, blend in the calendula flowers; otherwise, leave this out.
2) Once it is well blended, add the essential oil drops one fragrance at a time; whisk well to blend.
3) Carefully, pour the scrub mix into a container with a good lid.
 Google Images
To Use:
~Pour a VERY small amount into your palm or onto your wash cloth, add your favorite face wash as usual, LIGHTLY mix together (so that the powder does not completely dissolve) and wash your face.
~Avoid eye area.
~Rinse as usual.
~Use 1-2 times per week, as needed.

Easy peasy!

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<>< 

3 comments:

  1. That does sound easy. I'm guessing I can find the spinach powder at a natural foods store? Thanks, as always, Kim, for sharing your wisdom here with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this. Yes, you can get spinach powder at a bulk food store or in the bulk section of a health food store.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Kim! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails