Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Welcome to Marmee's Pantry

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Word-Filled Wednesday ~#114~ Where Everybody Knows Your Name

"Making your way in the world 
take everything you've got,
Taking a break from all your worries
sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away?

All those nights when you've got no lights,
the check is in the mail;
And your little angel hung the cat up
by it's tail.
And your third fiancée 
didn't show.

Sometimes, you want to go
where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see
our troubles are all the same.
You wanna be where everybody
knows your name."
~Cheers theme song, 
by Gary Portnoy~


"This day is sacred to our LORD. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." ~Nehemiah 8:10(b)

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another ~ and all the more as your see the Day approaching." ~Hebrews 10:25
I love my church

I have loved something about every church I have belonged to. Each church has it's own personality

Some churches have various ministries, clubs, Bible studies for all ages and especially for the kiddos; some churches are sweet, small and humble; some are beautiful, majestic historic buildings where you can almost hear grand hymns of the faith that were sung my the faithful for centuries resounding off of the rafters; some churches have worship that stirs and edifies, the kind that you can almost feel the angels standing next to you rejoicing with you. And sadly, there are some churches that barely go through the motions of faith and you sometimes wonder how (or why) they keep their doors open.

But to me, church ~ as a place of community worship ~ is one of my favorite places to be.

It starts out that many of my favorite people are there. Everyone I see, once I walk in the door, brings a smile to my face. I know that most everyone (just being honest) is there for the same purpose I am ~ to worship the Lord in community, to edify and build each other up in the Lord. We are there to care for one-another, to pray for one-another and to worship.

I love to worship at my church. I know we all have our favorite modes of worship, tastes in music, etc., and we TRY to make as many "happy" with our choices as we can, but I am mostly a Contemporary Worship sort of girl. I love praise music ~ I love to rock and I love the sweet folk-type acoustics. Yes, I love the old hymns of the church, but I also love it when they are modified a bit with a more "current" instrumentation.  What an honor and deep, deep privilege it is to be a part of a praise team and have the honor of helping to prepare hearts for the hearing of God's Word.

(**Now, I don't want to get into any "discussion" about TASTES in music or what's "bad" or "good" ~ let me just say 2 things: 1) I serve THE GOD OF CREATION and He CAN AND WILL use anything He wants to to draw someone to Himself and He CAN AND WILL use whatever type of music He chooses. Having said that, it leads me to 2) I was saved at Christian rock concert. You cannot convince me the God didn't use that type of music to draw His children to Himself. I am living proof.**)

I love to be taught the Word of God: the Bible. I love to listen to good preaching, to a sermon that I can take into my life and use . . . that I can LIVE. My favorite kind of preachers are those I call "preach-teachers" ~ those who read the Word of God, then divide it and teach it in such a way that I can take it with me and APPLY it in my life, my family's lives and on into my community. 

I love to fellowship with my friends ~ fellow saints of God. I love to hear what God is doing in their lives ~ to be encouraged that if He brought them through something, that He WILL bring me through, too; to be able to help others know the same from my life and experiences. I love to pray with my brothers and sisters . . . what a special thing to be able to go before God's throne and ask His blessings and help for others and KNOW that He hears us. 

It is a pleasure and a privilege to go where people know you and love you in the Name of Jesus.

I hope you have a church where everybody knows your name. 

Blessings from Ohio . . . Kim<><

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kim...I do! I love walking through the doors, seeing smiling faces, being greeted with hugs and sincere conversation. I enjoy the songs we sing together...making a joyful noise unto the Lord.Most of all I love hearing the Word preached and taught. Church IS a wonderful place to be...where everyone knows my name! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails